The SIWS Family Advocate is a neutral coordinator / facilitator who will:
- Work with family and professionals to identify people with connections to the child and parents to participate in the FGC (i.e. extended family, community members, and professionals).
- Arrange transportation for out of town participants.
- Arrange cultural or traditional ceremonies if requested.
- Facilitate a collaborative meeting that includes:
- Information sharing and identification of child safety concerns.
- Designated “private family time” for family members to develop their own plan.
- Documentation of a plan that is agreed to by all participants.
- An opportunity for the Social Worker to review the plan and request adjustments if needed.
- Social Worker approval of the plan, if it adequately addresses the safety and permanency needs of the child.
What are the outcomes ?
FGC results in a plan that describes:
- How to ensure the child’s safety.
- Access and connection to the child’s family, community, and culture.
- Action steps and individual responsibilities to implement the plan.
- A stable/permanent placement for the child.
Outcomes from an FGC include:
- More children in the care of extended family.
- Improved placement stability and permanence.
- Improved connection to family, culture, and community.